Thursday, August 5, 2010

Liverpool Football

Just returned from my first ever professional football (soccer) match: seeing Liverpool FC play at Anfield (the part of Liverpool where their stadium is located). In fact, this is the first professional soccer game - or soccer game of any note - I've ever seen live. That would be like having never seen a live hockey game, and then starting out seeing an NHL game at the Montreal Forum or Chicago Stadium. My Liverpool friends are HUGE Liverpool fans, and were quite excited to take me to my first game. They schooled me as best they could on the various chants and songs sung at the match. (In particular, Liverpool fans are famous for singing the song You'll Never Walk Alone at the beginning of each home match. Then there are songs for various players usually sung to the tune of a well-know song - think "Yellow Submarine" or "Ring of Fire"). As well, they also bought Zac (the Aussie) and I each a Liverpool shirt - how excellent was that? - which we proudly wore at the game.

The match was a UEFA Europa League qualifier against a team from Macedonia, FK Rabotnicki. Liverpool dominated the match, outclassing their opponents 2-0. I've never enjoyed soccer (I don't use that word over here, by the way - it's "football") as much as I did this night - much better in person than on TV. We sat in The Kop, the legendary grandstand located behind one of the goals from where the chants usually begin. The main contrast between watching professional European football and North American sporting events is that  there are fewer bells and whistles (i.e. distractions) over here - well, at Anfield, anyway: no huge HD videoscreen, nor multiple scoreboards, no ads on the pitch, and no music playing: it's all about the game. I know part of this is likely due to soccer/football's lack of stoppages, but it made the experience better...purer. Also, though they allow you to buy beer on the concourse, they don't allow any to be drunk in the stands. They are pretty strict on any unruly behaviour, as well. So, time to retire any outdated notions you have about English football fans being a bunch of violent hooligans. Then again, I wonder what would have happened if the home side had lost? (kidding)

I've never been a fan of any soccer/football team, until now. My time here, and certainly going to the match, have now officially made me a Liverpool FC fan. My Scouser friends are so proud.

The view from The Kop.

Post-match, sporting my Liverpool shirt.

1 comment: