Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Croatia


I'm going to recount my two weeks in Croatia out of order, starting with the most last stop: Dubrovnik. The walled Old Town was fantastic. The weather was beautiful as I walked along the wall, much of which overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Spent the late afternoon and evening drinking beer and watching the sunset over the sea with a couple of Finnish girls at a bar at the base of the city walls. I only spent one really solid day in Dubrovnik (two nights), but it was awesome. One of the benefits of not visiting in high season was the excellent accommodation I was able to secure. No hostel for me this time, but a villa, for only about $25/night. Woke up Friday morning and opened the doors of my balcony to a fantastic view of the city and harbour.
View from my balcony in Dubrovnik
Excellent day to walk along the walls of the Old Town.
View of the Old Town from the city walls.

Sunset and beer.
Prior to Dubrovnik, I was in Split. I stayed in a great hostel right within the walls of the Old Town, which was originally the palace of the Roman emperor Diocletian. I met up with a former colleague (I used to work for a living, remember?), Theresa, who happened to be over on a two-week trip. It was cool that our timing worked out. After Split, I went to the island of Hvar, where I spent three days with a couple of Aussie girls I had met at the Split hostel. Hvar was beautiful, the weather in the low 20s and the water warm enough for swimming! Not bad for October.

I guess I'm overdue to show a photo of me with my backpack. Walking up from the harbour on Hvar. About two minutes before I wiped out on some cobblestones. Sliced open my finger. But it's healing.
Chillin' on Hvar. And it's October!
Going back further, a couple of weeks...my first stop in Croatia was the capital of Zagreb. I spent a couple of nights there followed by a visit to Plitvice Lakes National Park, roughly halfway between Zagreb and Split. Plitvice Lakes is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is renowned (well, to some) for its series of waterfalls that interconnect the dozen of so lakes. Though the weather didn't exactly co-operate - rainy and a little cool - it was impressive nonetheless. And, because it wasn't high season, it wasn't crowded either.

At Plitvice Lakes. Wearing a toque. Not knowing I'd be swimming in the ocean in four days.

There you have it. A quick catch-up on my two weeks in Croatia.

1 comment: