Wednesday, July 21, 2010

St Michael's Mount

Got a late start on the day today, but managed to fit in an afternoon visit to St Michael's Mount. While St. Ives is located on Cornwall's north coast, St Michael's Mount is located on the south coast, just near Penzance (as in "Pirates of..."). Though Penzance is only about eight or ten miles from St Ives, it took me two trains to get to there. (St Ives is on a spur off the main rail line, so everything is at least two trains away.) From Penzance, it's a local bus ride of a couple of miles to Marazion and then a boat ride out to the island. If it was low tide, I could have walked out to the island on a causeway. But it wasn't, so I couldn't.
St Michael's Mount has been at times a fortress, a port, and a monastery. Some parts of the castle date from the 12th century. Yes, I cribbed this from the brochure.

I won't go into too many details - although based on my other blog posts, you know I'm tempted to - other than to say I was very impressed with this place. And to think I almost didn't go.

Maybe the best part of the visit though were the beautiful vistas, owing to the amazing, clear weather today - a break from the overcast and grey weather of the past few days. I'll letter the photos (hopefully) speak for themselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment