Sunday, July 4, 2010

St. Paul's, the Beatles, Canada Day and more

Monday I went to St.Paul's Cathedral. Very impressive. Climbed the 500-plus steps to the Golden Gallery near the top of the dome, which is outside and provides a stunning view of London. Walked along Fleet Street and happened upon the Twinings tea headquarters. Went in and had a free cup of tea. Bonus.

Went on another walking tour - this time a Beatles tour which I mentioned previously. Among the many Fab Four-related things we saw was where they filmed the opening scenes of A Hard Day's Night, where John and Yoko once lived, and - the best part - the famous crosswalk at Abbey Road Studios which is featured on the cover of that album. Got some cheesy tourist pics of me crossing it. Unlike Paul, I did not go barefoot. That afternoon, I hit the British Museum (again) for a couple of hours. I then went to a Spanish pub off near Tottenham Court Road tube station to watch the Spain-Portugal football match. Was an excellent, if late, night. Suffered dearly for it the next day. Thus, Wednesday was a maintenance day - or should I say a recuperation day.

Thursday I went down to Trafalgar Square for the fairly substantial Canada Day celebrations. Canada House is right on the square, where they had a stage set up and featured performers such as Hawksley Workman and Sarah Harmer.They also had road hockey tournament, with some teams taking it fairly seriously. My former company had a team in the tournament - they did pretty well, losing in the final. I went there with an English friend who had commented she had never been around so many Canadians in her life. Lucky her.

Okay, the weekend...quickly now: Friday, chilled out in Hyde Park. Saturday, met friends down in Borough Market and hit a couple of pubs. Sunday - today - friend took me to Highgate Cemetery where some notables are buried, among them Karl Marx and Douglas Adams (of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame). Okay, you're caught up.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew sounds like you are having an awesome time glad you spent Canada Day with some fellow Canucks. Look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete