Friday, June 25, 2010

Jack The Ripper and Football at the Pub Part 2

A friend of mine who has her own blog gave me some advice on blogging which can basically be boiled down to this: blog briefly and blog often. If this is the case, then my first foray into blogging has been a failure on both counts. Days between posts, and not so concise, my blogs. Oh well...let me try and summarize a few things from the past days:

On Monday evening, I went on a "Jack The Ripper" walking tour through parts of The City and East London. There is a company that puts on several different types of these walking tours (there is a Beatles one I have my eye on as well). The Ripper walk was well done...the guide was a JTR author and expert. I'm sure any eerie aspects of the walking tour were dulled somewhat by the fact that it was the longest evening of the year...hard to be creeped out by stories of these gruesome murders when it's light out. Interesting fact: Jack The Ripper, for all of his notoriety, only murdered five people. Also, the City of London police force was separate from the Metropolitan police force until 1964 (!). Jack The Ripper took advantage of this division by murdering across the two jurisdictions.

Tuesday night saw me take the Tube and an overland commuter train to an area called Forest Hill to visit my friend Nick for dinner and to play some music. Nick's quite the musician, and has taken to playing pedal steel guitar. We met in BC last summer, and first jammed together then.

Wednesday afternoon was set aside for going to a Knightsbridge pub to watch England play Slovenia in World Cup play, with England needing a win to advance. Mercifully for all of England, they came through. That evening, also mercifully for all of England (or at least those in close proximity to me), I did laundry. The routine things in "regular" life take on an added level of joy when traveling!

2 comments:

  1. You lost me at "A friend of mine ..." - too many words. ;)
    Hope all is going well. Keep drinking good coffee!

    Joel

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Andrew, what are you going to do for Canada Day? It will be a long weekend for most everyone coming up...hope your showing off your Canadian pin!

    ReplyDelete