Sunday, June 20, 2010

Football Friday Night and the British Museum

Spent my first full day sleeping in half the morning. It's jet-lag, still. Not laziness. Besides - it's not like I have limited time. An unambitious afternoon of wandering around Kensington, finding a great little cafe with much coveted wifi access (I've been back a few times). The evening was spent exactly how I wanted: in a London pub - the Churchill Arms in Notting Hill - watching the World Cup football match (note I did not say "soccer game" - when in Rome...). The football match did not go exactly how Londoners wanted: England drawing nil-nil against Algeria. A one-one draw, from my point-of-view, would have been better: I was looking forward to the cheering and inadvertent beer showers that would inevitably follow an England goal. I was out with two former work colleagues (they're all "former" now, aren't they?). The pub was packed (or "heaving" as my Scottish friend had put it) - standing room only. After the game, we went to another, less crowded pub for - what else? - fish and chips. Football, pubs, fish and chips: A good start to my first weekend in London.


Saturday afternoon saw me do a quick two hours in the British Museum. Free admission - how great is that? I knew going in that one trip wasn't enough...I'll be heading back there this week. The Roman artifacts were particularly impressive. Trying to do the whole thing in one go, even two, would be daunting. I think you have to pick your spots.

2 comments:

  1. Picking your spots is a good idea. And of course bring more time than you need. or rather think you need.
    Same thing at the Vatican museum in Rome when Mary and I were there last.
    Enjoy.
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete